1 Smallish Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
1 Idaho baking potato, peeled and diced
1 Onion, peeled and diced
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Mustard seed (I am using dark)
1 tsp Cumin Seed
1 Small dried chile
1 tsp. Sweet curry powder
1 Tbsp. Cashews, chopped
1 Tbsp. Oil
1 Tbsp. Buttah
- In a pot, bring 2 cups of salted water to boil with the Turmeric. Add the diced potato and squash. Cook until fork tender (not mushy).
- In a big skillet melt butter in oil (the oil actually raises the burn point for the buttah). Add the seeds, and wait until they are done popping (medium heat--don't scorch seeds). Toast cashew pieces.
- Add chile and onions, cooking until the onions are golden. Add curry powder. Cook until aromatic, over medium heat. Reserve.
- Drain potato and squash VERY WELL.
- Add more oil to pan and toss potatoes and squash and cook over medium high heat until it starts to brown.
- Add onion spice mixture back in, continually tossing and cooking until everything starts to look LIKE HASH BROWNS. Potatoes and squash should be browned on the outside, tender inside.
- Garnish with cilantro.
I used to make this for Mr. Nugget (way back in the day when I'd cook for him regularly). Since I've got those three lovely butternuts, I might just be compelled to make this for him... ooh which reminds me, I need to take the lamb out of the freezer for that Morrocan stew...