Here's hoping that I can either find time to make this, or make the hubby take me to South Street Souvlaki.
You will need:
2 lbs. fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
2 cups finely chopped green onions
1 1/2 tsp. fine Fine Grey Sea Salt
1/4 cup Organic Extra-virgin Olive Oil
3 cups chopped onion
1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
14 filo leaves (usually sold frozen, thaw thoroughly!)
3/4 cup clarified butter (ghee), melted.
1) Wash and clean the spinach. Discard the stems. Drain & cut the leaves into shreds.
2) Combine the spinach, parsley, dill, green onions and grey sea salt in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes, then press out all of the liquid.
3) Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and saute the 3 cups of chopped onions until soft and transparent. Add the spinach mixture from step 2 and saute for a few more minutes. Add the feta cheese and black pepper.
4) Place each of 7 filo leaves in a buttered 10" x 17" x 2" baking pan, bruhing each leaf with melted clarified butter. Add the spinach mixture from step 3, spread into a thick layer then add remaining filo leaves, again brushing each leaf with melted clarified butter. Cut into 3"x 3" pieces with a sharp knife.
5) Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.