Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mmmmm, Cobalamin Smoothie!

Before I get to the nuts and bolts of the recipe itself, I'm sure some folks are wondering, "What the EFF is cobalamin?" To oversimplify, it's Vitamin B12. It is naturally occurring in foods such as organ meats, cheese and eggs, and is not excreted via urine. It builds up in the liver and can take years for a deficiency in B12 to manifest itself. Lots of prescription medications (e.g. medications to reduce stomach acid, or medications for pancreatic disorders) can lead to depletions of Vitamin B12 levels.

"But Maven, it's easy to just pop a pill or a sublingual tab and be done with it, why dirty up the Cuisinart for a smoothie?"

Because it's summer, it's hot and sticky out there, and there's nothing better to cool you off!

I'm planning on making one of these every day, perhaps every a.m. But then again, that might be too ambitious. Let's play it by ear, shall we? This is what I made yesterday, and it so jacked me up with energy, I couldn't fall asleep for hours! I'm sure if I took this in the a.m., rather than the p.m., that effect would be DESIRED!

Ingredients:

1 Cup frozen fruit cubes (I had pineapple, papaya and mango on hand)
1 Fresh banana
1 Tablespoon soy yogurt
3 Tablespoons soy icecream
3 Tablespoons apple juice
1 Tablespoon real maple syrup
1 Chewable cobalamin tablet (which was raspberry flavored)

I just ran it through the blender on puree, scraping down the sides until all the lumps were gone.

This made enough for two smoothies.

Next time I may toss in an evening primrose oil capsule or a flax oil capsule just for good cause, or use a nectarine in place of the banana or frozen grapes in place of the tropical mix.

No comments: