Monday, September 29, 2014

Bone Broth: My Version

Reading up on the benefits of bone broth, and decided, that despite my failure to get a good "gel" in the stock I made for my ramen a few weeks back, I wanted to try again to achieve a good demi-glace "gel" for bone broth.

LOOK AT THAT IMPRESSIVE, GELLING ACTION!!!! 
Yes! That is my soup mug (at my desk in my office), which is on its side, to demonstrate the structural integrity of the gel!

Into my DRY Nesco, I added 3 lbs of "chicken hocks" (yes, pretty much what you think it is, all those knuckles at the bottom of chicken legs, essentially the ankle of the birds. I struck gold at the Korean market, where I was ISO a package of necks and backs (or even FEET), and in the absence of everything else, I found the hocks and knew I found a winner.

I had the Nesco on the brown setting, and I stirred once in a while and got most of the pieces browned and started for the bone broth.

I then filled the cooker 4/5 full (had to double check the manual for capacity) with water and added about 1-2 T vinegar.

Initially I set the cooker on high pressure for 18 minutes. I let it depressurize and upon looking I was unsure if 18 minutes was enough time to get the collagen to release from the joints. So I gave it a good stir, put the lid back on and set it for another 5 minutes at high pressure.

Again, I was unsure if this was adequate. I fished out all the bones, and took the cartilagey pieces off the bones, put the cartilage back in the Nesco, and with it, I put all the aromatics I was going to use for this batch. As I've been Jonesing for tom kha gai or tom yum, I decided to add lemongrass, makrut lime leaf, scallion pieces, garlic scape, ginger, white pepper, and set the Nesco for another 6 minutes, high pressure. After cooking I let it depressureize on its own.

After, I fished out all the solids, and ran the stock thru a cheesecloth, as to ensure no bone chips end up in final product.

While the broth was still scalding, I added a few fistfuls of enoki mushroom, cilantro, scallion piece, diced up bell pepper, and a few glugs of nam pla to salt/season and add some funk.

Last night it was served up with a few Korean vegetable mandoo, and I actually got compliments from the husband on the soup.

I made this specifically so I could take it to work each day in my feed bag, and get the therapeutic benefits of the collagen. Hoping it will be helpful in dealing with my joint pain, and also enjoy the side benefit of additional protein my diet.

No comments: