Saturday, April 22, 2017

Prelude to a Big Cook

I've been a bit uninspired lately and doing the bare minimum for meals the last few weeks. Ive been anxious and distracted.

Anyway. Today I had the start of a root canal, and immediately after, we went grocery shopping to kill some time until I could eat. We had a nice dimsum lunch after grocery shopping, a reward for me powering through two hours and 15 minutes in the endodontist's chair.

I got home, and promptly put away groceries, decided to dispatch the packages of meat into several ziplock bags and different marinades.

 


One bag was for Tandoori chicken (which the leftovers can do double duty in a chicken curry the next day).


The Tandoori chicken marinade:

1C plain yogurt
2T tandoori spice
2T neutral oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch red food coloring

The next bag was for Teriyaki bbq pork skewers:

1T garlic paste
2T Kentuckiyaki
2T Whole Foods Pineapple Moonshine BBQ Sauce

The third bag was for Thai garlic-peanut pork skewers**:

1T garlic paste
2T chunky peanut butter
1T Gojuchang
1T Nam Pla
2T coconut milk powder
1T maple syrup
Juice of one lime

The fourth item to be prepped was ground chicken which I got to make use of some left over mushroom stuffing from a stupid easy meal I made in my slow cooker.  

The leftover mushroom stuffing was mixed with the ground chicken for what will become a Chicken Marsala Meatloaf.    The prelude to the meatloaf of course is the stupid easy slow cooker meal. Don't judge! It uses cream of mushroom soup.

Into the slow cooker, layer these items in the order indicated:

Four chicken thighs, skin-side down
One package sliced shitakes or criminis
Black pepper--liberal amounts
One can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C dry marsala
1 Box Stovetop type stuffing
Several pats of butter or margarine on top

Lock lid, and slow cook 4.5 hours. BOOM. Delicious.

**So about those asterisks... The pork cubes will be then tossed in a zip lock bag to be coated with this product (not the Kentuckiyaki--the other stuff!):

 
I love Amazon, as I never know what items I'll encounter. And I found this product and decided to give it a try. It comes with this bland white goo you smear on your meat and then coat with The Good Table Crunchy Thai Peanut Sauce & Crust Mix for Chicken(kit).

I would think the white stuff would smell or taste coconutty or even have ANY taste at all--it was weird. So rather than use the goo (or as they say "sauce") for my pork skewers, I'm going to use just the coating--and instead marinate my pork cubes with what amounts to a satay dipping sauce.  To each their own. Eventually I'll write a review on Amazon to this effect, but thereyago. 

Note: A Taste of Thai makes a similar product (though I believe theirs doesn't have a sauce packet).

Since today was food prep day--tomorrow is the cook day. I need a nap now.

No comments: