Wednesday, November 29, 2017

No Knead Sourdough Bliss

This recipe was referenced in one of the sourdough forums I am in, and I figured I'd give it a whirl. 

With very few exceptions, I have been unimpressed with my overall straight sourdough (no commercial yeast snuck in to improve "poof"). Without a doubt, this particular recipe is brilliant. Brilliantly easy, straight forward, and easily adaptable.

Given that last week was Thanksgiving, I almost always have left over apple cider, and I figured I would substitute cider in lieu of the water, and I snuck about 1/3 of the overall volume of flour with spelt.

I followed the directions exactly. Set it and forget it, as it were. I came home last night and did a final knead and shape, and rolled it out a bit and put some cinnamon on it before rolling it up jelly roll style and popped it into a loaf pan and covered it with foil, and let it proof. 

GLORIOUS. 

I may just give up on all other recipes, as this one is so beautiful. None of that pesky "stretch and fold" every 30 minutes, and repeat for a total of two hours (OMG who has that kind of time?). 

I've done this loaf about 3x thus far. Two previous loaves, I did the same thing, but put an olive tapenade in the center and rolled it up.

Noteworthy: This toasts up DIVINE, and furthermore, it makes some fantastic croutons and is fabulous dried and used in Thanksgiving stuffing.

No comments: