Saturday, April 15, 2006

My Flourless Mocha Torte, aka Dr. Dan's Birthday Cake

For a few years, I made this torte as part of my (now former) Passover celebrations.

For a few years, I made this torte as a birthday cake for my former chiro and beloved friend, Dr. Dan, as his birthday more often than not, would land smack dab during Pesach. One year, I even adorned it with calla lilies I fashioned out of marzipan.

Here's hoping that the recipe ends up having a longer life as Dan's birthday cake than a former Passover cake.

Kosher for Passover or not... It is a thing to behold. Somewhat dry and cracked on top like a brownie, deep, decadently fudgey on the bottom like a truffle.

THIS, this is my most coveted recipe. I won't even give it to relatives. It's that special. And it is in honor of (Dr.) Dan's birthday that prompts me to share this wonderful recipe.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND MANY RETURNS OF THE DAY, DAN!!


Preheat oven: 325

Ingredients:

8 oz Bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 Sticks butter (salted is fine)
4 Egg whites and 1 whole egg (or four whole eggs, or the equivalent of scramblers)
1 1/2 Cup Sugar (a 50/50 mix of Splenda and Malitol Crystals works too)
1 tsp. Instant coffee powder


Procedure:

  • Prepare baking pan with oil spray and sugar. A springform pan works best.
  • Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler.
  • Separately whisk eggs, and then incorporate a little of the hot, melted chocolate/butter mixture to temper the eggs, continue mixing in the whisked eggs.
  • Whisk in sugar and coffee powder.
  • Pour into prepared pan.
  • Wrap bottom of pan with tin foil
  • Place pan in hot water bath and bake 1 1/2 hours until set.
  • Cool overnight
  • Dislodge torte from springform pan, and garnish with a dusting of sifted coffee powder and a little cinnamon, or a drizzle of Nutella, or ganache, or whipped cream and fresh fruit.
  • No comments: