Bread Pudding With Whiskey Sauce
- 1 Loaf French Bread
- 1 qt Milk (use WHOLE milk, you wuss)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 C Sugar
- 2 T Vanilla
- 3 T Butter (unsalted works best, for flavor)
- 1 C Raisins (or craisins)
- A sprinkling of slivered almonds (if you like a little crunch)
- Soak the bread in milk and melted butter.
- Crush with hands till well mixed. (This is fun with kids, because they can get their hands all "gooshy.")
- Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins and stir well.
- Pour the batter in the bottom of thick pan and bake at ~350° for 2 hours until very firm.
- Let it cool; then cube pudding and put it in individual dessert dish. (I use funky little ramekins.)
- When ready to serve, add sauce and heat under broiler.
- Serve with Whiskey Sauce.
- If you're really feeling decadent, fresh whipped cream, or REAL vanilla bean ice cream goes well with this.
Ingredients for Whiskey Sauce:
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 C Sugar (I use brown sugar, but white sugar is good, as well.)
- 1 Egg
- Cream the sugar and egg until well mixed.
- Add melted butter and continue to dissolve.
- Whisk the mixture briskly
- Add whiskey to taste while whisking, which should make sauce creamy and smooth.