We are what we eat. We eat. We shit. Our produce grow from shit-fertilized soil. We become shit. Festive as that may be, enter the the "Eatateria," to discover an ever-increasing assortment of recipes for lovely meals, which we will soon shit out. I eat, and I shit; therefore, "I am."

Saturday, April 15, 2006

My Flourless Mocha Torte, aka Dr. Dan's Birthday Cake

For a few years, I made this torte as part of my (now former) Passover celebrations.

For a few years, I made this torte as a birthday cake for my former chiro and beloved friend, Dr. Dan, as his birthday more often than not, would land smack dab during Pesach. One year, I even adorned it with calla lilies I fashioned out of marzipan.

Here's hoping that the recipe ends up having a longer life as Dan's birthday cake than a former Passover cake.

Kosher for Passover or not... It is a thing to behold. Somewhat dry and cracked on top like a brownie, deep, decadently fudgey on the bottom like a truffle.

THIS, this is my most coveted recipe. I won't even give it to relatives. It's that special. And it is in honor of (Dr.) Dan's birthday that prompts me to share this wonderful recipe.


Preheat oven: 325


8 oz Bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 Sticks butter (salted is fine)
4 Egg whites and 1 whole egg (or four whole eggs, or the equivalent of scramblers)
1 1/2 Cup Sugar (a 50/50 mix of Splenda and Malitol Crystals works too)
1 tsp. Instant coffee powder


  • Prepare baking pan with oil spray and sugar. A springform pan works best.
  • Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler.
  • Separately whisk eggs, and then incorporate a little of the hot, melted chocolate/butter mixture to temper the eggs, continue mixing in the whisked eggs.
  • Whisk in sugar and coffee powder.
  • Pour into prepared pan.
  • Wrap bottom of pan with tin foil
  • Place pan in hot water bath and bake 1 1/2 hours until set.
  • Cool overnight
  • Dislodge torte from springform pan, and garnish with a dusting of sifted coffee powder and a little cinnamon, or a drizzle of Nutella, or ganache, or whipped cream and fresh fruit.
  • No comments: