Published: July 12, 2010
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup olive oil
6 ounces baked ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 1/4 cups)
6 ounces Gruyère, coarsely grated (about 1 1/2 cups) or half grated and half cut into 1/4-inch dice.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour with baking powder, salt and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, lightly whisk eggs, then whisk in milk and olive oil.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold wet ingredients into dry until barely mixed. Fold in ham and cheese.
5. Scrape batter into loaf pan and smooth top, or using your finger, push a tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup.
6. Bake loaf until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached, 40 to 50 minutes. Or bake muffins until golden, about 15 minutes, switching pans between racks halfway through.
7. Transfer to a rack to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge to release. Turn out loaf onto rack to firm up before slicing, about 30 minutes; using a serrated knife, cut into 3/8-inch slices, then cut into halves or quarters. Muffins can be served warm or at room temperature.
Yields: About 20 slices, or 4 dozen mini muffins.