Thursday, February 09, 2012

Chia Challenge: Day 2


I've been a bit remiss. Didn't manage to post a pic or recipe of what I made for the second day's dish containing chia seeds. I managed to make a basic mixed vegetable upma, using quinoa (and a bit of split moong for the grain), and some cauliflower florets, shred carrot, edamame, capsicum, and a little leftover zucchini for the veg.

Between the quinoa, moong, edamame and peanuts I added, I feel fairly certain it can stand alone as a perfect meal on its own. Plenty of fiber, low-glycemic type carbs, high protein, and full of flavor. I added the chia seeds at the last minute so they still had some crunch.

I doubt I'm going to reinvent the wheel by taking the time to peck out my recipe, as the internet is chock-a-block with others who post similar material. However, if you're interested in a great upma recipe, you cannot go wrong by checking out Indian Cuisine's recipe (which, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to imbed the link. What the hell?):http://thecuisine.blogspot.com/2012/01/mixed-vegetable-broken-wheat-upma.html


The husband, of course, scoffs a bit when I make things like upma or kichadi, as traditionally they are food which is served to either folks who are sick, or the elderly. That, notwithstanding, upma can be a delicious, nutritious and quick item to be made for dinner itself or served as a side dish.

In my microwavable rice cooker (Progressive brand, seriously, well worth the $8 I spent for it), I put the quinoa, moong, cauliflower florets and turmeric, with enough salted water and nuked it for 12 minutes.

While the quinoa cooked, I prepped what I needed. I get a lot of my groceries from Trader Joes, and as of late, I've gotten a lot of veggies in ready to go form. My carrots were already shredded and I got a pack of onion/shallot/garlic already chopped. This just left me to dice up the capsicum and the zucchini, and take a handful of peas out of the freezer. And the only other thing I did in my recipe is "finish" the dish with a tablespoon of coconut oil, much in the way the French finish a dish with a pat of butter.

From beginning to end, it took me less than one half hour to get dinner on the table. I served the upma with some watermelon (gah, won't buy watermelon again until warmer months, no good can come from melons in the winter!) and a handful of Trader Joes curly chip things which are made of potato and lentil, and remind me, taste-wise, of papads.

I'm now wondering if the leftover upma could be incorporated into a vada batter or even make very flavorful koftas in a subdued gravy. That's me, always thinking of ways to use up leftovers. Not sure if it's a carry over from my Scottish lineage, as the Scots are known for their thrift. But why waste money? I'll just transform this stuff into something else, equally delicious.

Stay tuned.

No comments: