Wednesday, February 20, 2013

EDITED: Black Bean Brownie Bake-Along

Posting this and hoping that some of my more intrepid friends, who are adventurous cooks or bakers, might try their hand at this recipe I've sketched out.

This is my attempt at a black bean brownie recipe, and I hope it'll be killer in taste and in texture. 


If you try this recipe, I'd love to know your input. If you liked it, if you disliked it, and if you liked it then put your own spin on it. I'd love to know the permutations!


Note: I've changed up some of the ingredients, and will be tweaking the cook time. I'm putting my brownies back in for another nearly 10 minutes, as they've been out of the oven for 10 minutes and when I went to cut them, they have no structural integrity. (SO FAR). Stay tuned on the ultimate cook time. 

Warning: This is a flop show. Taste wise, it is BEYOND DELICIOUS. However, trying to make it without an egg is just begging for failure. Next batch, I will attempt to put 1 egg's worth of egg white powder in the mix and hope for the best. Baked AS IS in this recipe renders out a product that is too soft to pick up and eat out of hand; however, if you DO bake it AS IS (as of today, 3/2/13), serve it hot with some vanilla ice cream and eat it with a spoon. 

Note: 3/12/13 I have made these brownies twice. First batch as written; second batch doubled and modified using Splenda instead of maple syrup and agave. In the first batch as written, without egg to bind it, the product was too soft to eat as a brownie. Second time I made it, I added 2 eggs, and omitted the almond meal (due to the Splenda adding dry bulk, I suppose). 

In both cases, as written and then the modified version, I have to admit, the taste and texture is WONDERFUL. However, there are BEANS in this. And WHOAH NELLIE... what no one tells you about when making black bean brownies is the OBVIOUS. You'll get a lot of bloating and flatus. So beware.

Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well)
3 T. Conventional, Dutched cocoa powder
3 T. Black onyx type cocoa powder
3 T. Malted milk powder
4 T. Almond meal
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Xanthan gum powder
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave (I'm thinking of doing a 50/50 blend of both, as I have both in my pantry)
1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (I'd personally go with peanut or macadamia nut or grapeseed oil)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (Omit at your own risk! You've been warned!)

Optional: more chips and/or chopped walnuts for presentation

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor or blender, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well.

Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.

Cook 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. Makes hopefully 9-12 brownies, and an as yet undetermined amount of brownie muffins.

PS: If I were to do a peanut butter chocolate version of the brownie, I'm spit-balling the idea of a "frosting" for this. Thinking of it possibly containing:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (or PB2)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 T. Maple syrup (more for flavor than for sweetness)
1 C Splenda or 3 -3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream

No comments: