Monday, September 30, 2013

Possible Theme: Crock Pot Breakfasty Shit (Part 1)

Weather is turning a bit cooler, and I like to keep things in my feed bag "fresh" (or "new to me"), I've decided to attempt to get into a habit, even if it's a month long endeavor at first, to eat a hot breakfast. Given my love of my Nesco pressure cooker, which also has a slow cooker setting (as well as a warm mode it kicks into when done cooking), it's a perfect time to attempt breaking my rut and get into a different routine to keep things interesting.

Perhaps I'll feature a different crock pot recipe combination each week. Not every permutation will be a different oatmeal. I like a wide variety of grains (I thank the universe I'm not allergic to anything, and I'm an adventurous omnivore). 

This week's permutation: Banana Bread Inspired Hot Cereal.



As it's only myself who eats this, I have to do small batches, and by small, I mean 4-5 servings, otherwise, I'll lose interest if I have a never ending bucket of sameness staring me down each a.m. until it's gone.

This should be enough to last me roughly a week (serving size: roughly 5-6 oz). YMMV.


Ingredients:

1/2 C. Steel cut oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 C. Quinoa
1/2 C. Dry milk powder
4 C. Water
1 T. Butter
1.5 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
Pinch Salt
1 Large, ripe banana, sliced up
1 T. Chia seed
1 T. Ground flax seed
1 Tsp. Vanilla

Mix everything up well in the Nesco. Set it to slow cook for about 5 hours, and be sure to set the valve to VENT. I did this, and it was in the warm mode for an additional  2-3 hours. Unsure of any further moisture emitted during this time.

I portioned it up in the bottom of my Sistema cup, and into the insert on the top, I added 1 T. raisins, 2 tsp sweet shred coconut, 2 tsp sunflower seeds, 2 tsp chopped walnuts, so I could add as little or as much of this topping to my oatmeal once I got to the office (I don't add the toppings to the crock because I find it softens the walnuts, and plumps the raisins too much, and I actually like the texture of them to remain as is. Again, YMMV).

I don't know or care what the calorie count or protein count of this is. This is so I can have a hot breakfast and perhaps get some whole grain into my protein top heavy diet. 
  
Note: I do about 5 hours in my crock, because I find that it's all that's needed for what amounts to a half batch of cereal. Also, perhaps the Nesco slow cooker setting might run a little warmer than a standard crock pot with a low and a high setting. YMMV.  It helps to check on it midway to prevent scorch, if your new to crock pot cooking, and when trying out new grains.

No comments: