Monday, October 21, 2013

Crock Pot Breakfasty Shit, Part: 4

This week's flavor is an homage to: Lemon panna cotta w/blueberries.

If you're trying this experiment right along side me, let me know. I'd love to know what your thoughts are either on the recipes, or if you have suggestions for other grains I haven't explored yet.

This week's recipe will involve three different grains: ABC. Amaranth, Barley, Corn (Grits). Turns out amaranth has a lot of healthy properties to it that I never knew (though I've had whole grain amaranth in my cupboard for a while and have added it to some Indian pilaf type dishes like upma just to boost nutrition). Turns out it's high in anti-inflammatory properties, good for cardiovascular health and helps with hypertension. Somehow, I think my body innately knows what it needs before my brain can process it all.

I hope the flavors are neutral enough and "play nice" with the flavor profile of this week's breakfasty shit.

Ingredients:

1/3 C. Whole amaranth
1/3 C. White pearl barley
1/3 C. Corn grits
1/2 C. Dry milk powder
4 C. Water
1/2 C. Splenda, sugar or sweetener of your choosing
1 T. Lemon juice (fresh is better)
Zest of one lemon
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
Few drops (2? 3?) Lemon extract
1 Tsp. (Black) Poppy seeds
1 Tsp. Chia seeds

Dump everything into the Nesco and give a good mix. Set the slow cooker setting for five hours and be sure to VENT the valve.

Topping: Fresh blueberries, or if you have it on hand, blueberry pie filling, or blueberry compote.  And if you happened to have some lemon curd? SCORE! That'd be brilliant, and gilding the lily in a big way. If you want some crunch, slivered almonds would work out well.

Makes approx: 5 servings, approximately 5-6 oz per.


Note: I do about 5 hours in my crock, because I find that it's all that's needed for what amounts to a half batch of cereal. Also, perhaps the Nesco slow cooker setting might run a little warmer than a standard crock pot with a low and a high setting. YMMV.  It helps to check on it midway to prevent scorch, if your new to crock pot cooking, and when trying out new grains.

No comments: