Monday, October 21, 2013

Slow Cooker Polenta For the Nesco

It's a take off of other recipes I've seen (and linked to). This is what *I* did yesterday, and had pretty good results.

Ingredients:

1 C. Cornmeal (don't recall if it was "grits" per se). Note: I thought I bought 1 cup exactly and it was scant. So I added a bit of quinoa to it to bring it up to 1 cup measurement.
1 32 oz Tetrapak of Chicken broth
1 T. Margarine
Pinch salt & pepper.

Give a good stir. Set Nesco to slow cook four hours. Set valve to VENT.

Nearing 3 hours, I opened it up and gave a good stir. Which was good, given some of the polenta was starting to golden up a little on the bottom. Gave a good stir, smoothed out the lumps. Let it finish cooking off until it hit 4 hours.

Right before serving, I added a big fat pinch of chia seed and a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese and gave a good stir or two, and let it sit until we were ready to eat dinner.

Serves 3-4, thereabouts. Serving size variable. YMMV. And of course, the quinoa or chia is optional. Also, if you run low on grits but have whole grain amaranth or millet at home, that could probably work nicely, too.

No comments: