Monday, May 09, 2016

Note To Self: Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies (With Musings on Pizza)

I'm getting in the swing of this sourdough lifestyle, and as such, I'm always thinking of new ways to use my "discards" (I discard before feeding, so the discard is nice and hungry. I find this works for my purposes, YMMV.).

So far I've made tortillas and naan dough (the latter works great for pizzas), and this weekend I made a great chocolate cake which will be a keeper.

On the horizon at some point will be sourdough oatmeal cookies, which I'll load up with (as I said to my cousin) "plenty of garbage" (i.e. craisins, chia, shred coconut, orange peel, you name it). 

I might use this recipe for my jumping off point, and already considering tweaking this recipe thusly:
  • Coconut flour
  • Soaking the oats overnight 
  • Splenda
It'll be a few weeks, but wanted to plunk this idea down for me to refer back to, when I'm ready.

Regarding the pizza I referenced, last Wednesday, I made pizza using up 1/2 a batch of the naan recipe in that sourdough book by Sarah Owens. Half white pie with bacon and onions for me, and half with prosciutto, pineapple and arugala for the Maharajah.

 Obviously, I rolled it out directly onto a Silpat and baked it that way, and while the end product was lovely, I feel I need to invest in a pizza stone, so that once it is halfway done, I can transfer it to the stone to crisp up on the bottom.   So, if anyone is actually reading my blog and can recommend a particular brand pizza stone, I'd appreciate any input in the comments section!

No comments: