Friday, January 13, 2023

Distraction Du Jour: Daydreaming Ahead for 2023 Holiday Cookies


It didn't take me long to start thinking ahead to next year's cookies, which ones I'll keep in the rotation from year to year (my versatile icebox cookies, and the Red Velvets always are keepers), what I might try again (the Leckerli, but maybe not a double batch!), and try some new ones for 2023 (possibly a "Mexican Hot Chocolate" Cookie, or some cookies inspired by the Grinch). I've already procured a small Grinch cookie cutter.

I also am thinking ahead to possibly making a Kitty Litter Box Cake for a coworker--I was thinking of it for his birthday in December, but looks like he might be leaving in August, so it might be a farewell cake. I am considering a cake with crumbled oreos in it (a cookies and cream type cake) with mocha frosting, underneath the appearance of kitty litter (and edible turds). My mouth waters as I think of it. Plenty of wonderful recipes over at Broma Bakery!

Perhaps if we see our friends in the summer (for what amounts to our annual visit with them), I'll make the cake then as a "test run" to see how it turns out--and make sure I make it in a disposable sheet pan because they can't be trusted to give me my pans back. Of course, that's assuming a lot--in this case--assuming we get an invitation. 

I want to bake more cakes this year. I even day dream of baking a Red Velvet and doing it up like the Choco-Flan I've done in the past. I think it might be worthwhile.

No comments: